Some couples are surprised about a how to get pregnant guide because it comes so easy for them. For other couples, it takes patience and some luck. For such couples, it is important to know that there are ways to give yourself the best chance to become pregnant.
How conception comes about
Generally in every month, the pituitary gland releases hormones that cause the ovaries to release an egg. This process is called ovulation. After the egg is released, it goes to the fallopian tube where it could be fertilized if it meets a sperm cell there.
When is your fertile period?
The period when you are fertile is the period when the egg and the sperm cell are most likely to meet. This fertile period depends on two factors:
- The life span of the sperm cell inside the woman’s reproductive system. Typically the sperm does not live more than 5 days.
- The life span of the egg. It usually lives only for 24 hours.
When is my best chance of becoming pregnant?
To increase your chances of becoming pregnant, you have to have intercourse 1 or 2 days before ovulation. This means that you have to plan and calculate it correctly. However, there are steps you can take to help maximize your chances of getting pregnant.
How do I maximize my chances of getting pregnant?
The common and simpler method of increasing your chances of getting pregnant is by having frequent intercourse 2 to 3 days before your ovulation. But if you want to be more certain while you follow up on the fertile period, here are some simple steps you can take. These steps will help you increase your odds of becoming pregnant.
- Mark the first day of your menstrual bleeding
- Take note of the number of days the bleeding lasts and mark the last day
The last day of the bleeding is the day before your next period.
After tracking your menstrual cycle for many months, you will notice how long your cycle could take and then be able to predict when you are most likely to ovulate.
The period of time that comes after your ovulation is called the luteal phase and it is generally fixed at 14 days. This means that if your menstrual cycle is 30 days long, the time likely that you will ovulate will be on day 16 (30 days – 14 days = day 16).
From this example, the period when you are fertile will fall between days 12 and 17. If in this fertile period you have sex inside every 2 days or preferably every day, you will have sperm waiting and ready to fertilize the egg when it is released.
Note: If you find out that your cycles are mostly shorter than 23 days or longer than 34 days, it may be a sign that you are not ovulating. You should let your care provider know about this.
Advantages of calendar tracking
It is simple to track your fertile period as you can do it with an app or any calendar.
Disadvantages of calendar tracking
Calendar tracking is inaccurate. Many factors can alter the exact timing like illness, medication and exercise.
Cervical mucus tracking
If you observe your vaginal secretions, you will notice that just before ovulation, the secretion is clear and slippery. It resembles raw egg white.
After ovulation, the secretion the secretion becomes cloudy and thickens. Sometimes, there are even no secretions at all.
Advantages of cervical mucus tracking
It is easy to observe. When you see what looks like egg whites, you can be sure of an impending fertility.
Disadvantages of cervical mucus tracking
Comparing and judging the appearance of the vaginal secretions can be subjective. Also some vaginal infections can alter appearance of the secretions.
Your base body temperature is your body temperature when you are more or less at rest. Ovulation will cause a slight rise in your base temperature – usually less than 1 degree difference. You were most fertile 2 to 3 days before the temperature rise. Your temperature will remain high until just before the next menstrual period.
There are some digital thermometers designed to take such temperature tracking. Make sure you take your temperature every morning before you leave bed. Write down the readings or record it in an app and analyze the pattern.
Even though you will notice the temperature rise only after the ovulation has taken place, you will be able to predict the days before your ovulation.
Advantages of body temperature tracking
It is simple and cheap. It can help you determine when you have ovulated and constant tracking will get you better at predicting your ovulation.
Disadvantages of body temperature tracking
The change in temperature is slight and only comes after the ovulation has taken place. Also, body temperature change can be caused by so many other factors other than after ovulation like fever, alcohol use, and other health aspects.
Ovulation predictor kit
An ovulation predictor kit can be purchased over-the-counter in any pharmacy. It tests and records a rise in hormones that come before ovulation. It is good to use it according to the instructions to get a more accurate prediction.
Advantages of using the ovulation predictor kit method
It is more accurate and can be bought from any pharmacy without a prescription.
Disadvantages of using the ovulation predictor kit method
It could be expensive for some low-income earning women.
The age factor
It is easier if you are below or in your early 30s. You can try with your partner to get pregnant for 1 year before consulting a doctor.
If you are 35 to 39 years old, you can consult a doctor after you try without success for 6 months.
If you are 40 or older and have problems conceiving, you and your partner should consult a doctor for testing and treatment right away.
For better results on your attempts at getting pregnant, it is wise that you use all 4 methods to increase your certainty.
Infertility also affects men as it does women. Scheduling a visit with your gynecologist, urologist, or fertility specialist can be a good idea. Treatment is available for infertility.
What should I do to get pregnant fast?
- Eat healthily. Although there is no diet for pregnancy, it is suggested that eating healthy can get your body ready to conceive. this means that you eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. This is to enable the body to get enough iron, calcium, and protein which helps pregnancy. You can read this article for details.
- Go for healthy body weight. Research suggests that being overweight makes it twice as hard to conceive as one with a normal body mass index (BMI). Being underweight can make it 4 times harder to conceive.
- Cut back on strenuous workouts and activities. Doctors have noticed disturbances in the menstrual cycle with women who do strenuous activities. Doing too much exercise or frequent strenuous workouts could even interfere with ovulation.
- Keep away from unhealthy habits like drinking and smoking. Drinking heavily makes it hard for a woman to get pregnant. Smoking ages a woman’s ovaries and depletes her supply of eggs prematurely. It is wise to keep off these while you work on getting pregnant.
- Treat every lingering STDs. Gonorrhea and chlamydia are some of those STDs that render women infertile. Visit your doctor for tests and treatment if any of them do exist.
- Stay in bed after intercourse. After sex, it is good for the woman to remain in bed for about 10 to 15 minutes for the sperm cells to get into the cervix. Avoid going to the bathroom during this 10 to 15 minutes.
- De-stress yourself as much as possible. Worrying over it will help you less in your journey to pregnancy. Taking the right steps and relaxing will prove better.